Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener Review
The Presto electric knife sharpener delivers an easy way to sharpen most kitchen knives that are non-serrated within seconds. They also sharpen sports knives and make the edges razor sharp, easily and quickly. The razor-sharp edges are created by using the fast-rotating Sapphirite grinding wheels, that are generally used in professional sharpening shops.
• Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 7.2 x 4.8 inches
• Color: Black
• Warranty: 1 year limited warranty.
• Weight (shipping): 1.3 pounds
• Can be shipped to selected countries outside U.S
• It involves a two-stage sharpening system. In stage 1, the precision grinding starts the sharpening process by creating an angled edge of precision. Once the knife is ground and sharpened at stage 1 on one side of the sharpener, the stage 2 begins on the other side, where it will be honed. The side 2 honing is even less noisy.
Both sides are run on electricity. Side one does the rough sharpening and the side two has a finishing stone to allow honing the blade to a amazing sharp edge. The perfect sharpening angle, fine hones and polishes altogether are all comparable to professional results at home. It runs on normal US household voltage – 120v.
• The sharpener works perfectly on knives made of alloy, stainless steel or carbon. It does a superb job on both low-carbon and high-carbon blades. It does not require much effort even to do the sharpening and honing hob. With just the weight of the knife, you need to pull the knife through the slots on the grinding wheels and the job will be done for you, effortless. I tried this on my Chicago cutlery and some other brands and worked perfectly by creating razor-sharp edges. I tried this on my pocket knife knowing well it is designed for pocket knife and got excellent results too. On an average, it takes a minutes or so to use all 4 slots several times for each time.
• While sharpening, if you see sparks flying, do not panic. It is just normal for sparks to fly if your knives are of high carbon steel that come in contact with the Sapphirite wheels during the sharpening process.
• If you have a non-electric serrated knives and that are serrated on one side, you can sharpen them too. At the bottom there are three suction cups to hold the sharpener on your countertop. Two other receptacles underneath will catch all metal filings for easy post-sharpening disposal.
• I used the sharpener on ceramic knives but used only the honing side and not the grinding side. I got excellent result and since I did not use the grinding side, it did not damage my knives at all.
It has been about 3 months since I last sharpened my knives. I have been using my knives quite regularly and have had no necessity at all to re-sharpen them. This is the most delightful experience that I ever had from knife sharpeners. Thanks to my spouse who bought me this sharpener as a new year’s gift. It has made my kitchen life a lot easier.