Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener Review
Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Sharpener comes with ultra-sharp EdgeSelect technology. It features the stability of a triple-bevel (Trizor) edge. It allows you to hone your knives to 15-degree angle.
The sharpening through this machine involves a three-stage process.
Stage 1: Diamond abrasives on the conical disks finely create micro-grooves. Side by side it creates the 1st important bevel of the arch-shaped edge.
Stage 2: The diamond abrasives on conical disks at this stage are even finer. They shape the 2nd, smaller bevel with comparatively finer microgrooves.
Stage 3: It uses flexible abrasive stropping disk system, which is patented, to create a smooth, sharp edge which is almost invisible to the open eye. Its job is to create the 3rd and the final bevel. The micro-grooves formed in stages 1 and 2 are also polished at this stage. Stage 3 can also be used to sharpen serrated knives by straightening and sharpening each tooth.
• Dimensions: 12 x 6.2 x 6.4 inches
• Weight (Shipping): 4.6 pounds
• Domestic Shipping: Can be shipped within U.S. only
• Can be used on American, European, and Asian-style knives and also on straight-edge and serrated knives
• Can convert 20-degree factory edge into high-performance Trizor 15-degree edge
• Three-stage sharpening process includes diamond abrasives and flexible, abrasive stropping disks
• Flexible spring will automatically adjust for the perfect angle
• Features a simple on/off switch
• Measures 6-1/5 by 12 by 6-2/5 inches
• Warranty: Buyers may ask for manufacturer’s warranty from customer service. Usually, it is a 3-year limited warranty
Good things at-a-glance:
I have been using this Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor sharpener for quite some time, which my elder sister presented me as my birthday gift. Since then I have been getting a delightful experience every time I have sharpened my knives and got the perfect edge that I wanted. I will summarize my experience this way:
• This sharpener is capable of creating a 15° edge angle across all knives – made in Asia, Europe or America.
• It creates two upper bezels about the cutting edge, which gives an additional strength to the narrow-angled cutting edge, allowing it to stay sharp even after prolonged use.
• The three sharpening-stage process delicately performs the sharpening job with Stage 1 to reshape and stage 2 and 3 to perfectly refine the edge.
• After letting the machine perform the stage 2 process, the burr develops quicker.
• Model 15XV made all my knives razor sharp, and certainly, they are sharper than they were when I first purchased.
• The knife, as I touch after sharpening, feels extremely sharp by totally removing the damage
• Despite all the good things that the Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor sharpener features, potential buyers need to find out the degree of edge per side. If it is 20, then this is actually not the right choice. They may try the Chef’s Choice model 120. All features are similar between these two except for the sharpening angles – 20° for the cutting edge and 22.5° for the 2nd bezel and 25° for the upper bezel. Naturally, it will allow you to do the job spending less time and energy.
• Overall, the Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor sharpener delivers good results. Some may say that it is a little time-consuming to complete the entire process of sharpening in 3 stages but compared to the superb results that you get at the end, the 3-stage involvement is certainly well justified.